Eco-friendly, sustainable ‘built for life’ bags. A canvas cut above the ordinary. A leather stitch beyond the crowd.
Our Sustainable Production Pledge
We source eco-friendly materials and this has been our ethos since we started business.
Kovered products are manufactured using ethical factories with responsible workmanship and posted to you in recycled packaging.
With our ‘built for life’ pledge, it’s as sustainable as it gets.
Reclaimed full-grain leather
- ‘Reclaimed’ or ‘repurposed’ leather means we source hides which would otherwise be discarded, rather than coming from animals reared for skins.
- We use ‘saddle leather’ cow hide (often referred to a ‘crazy horse’ leather) for durability, and we nourish it with a balsam containing beeswax, carnauba wax, jojoba and avocado oil.
- This stops stiffening, gives it a vintage texture and makes it water resistant.
Tough cotton canvas
- Natural fibre cotton is woven into a durable-grade canvas for a lifetime of use. For centuries it’s been the material of mariners and explorers. It’s helped climb Everest, crossed the polar ice caps, and been at the centre of legendary tests of endurance.
- The tight-wove canvas is then waxed or moisture-proofed using natural oils and water repellents.
- We develop long-term relationships with smaller artisans in the Far East who share our hand-crafted approach and we insist on stringent standards and manufacturing guidelines.
- The processes of cutting, stitching, moulding and treating are inspected in a single workshop, so that all bags in our supply chain can be quality checked before being dispatched.
- We prefer to colour our bags with vegetable dyes made from tree bark, berries and roots, rather than using chrome chemical tanning.
- These are water-based pigment carriers, not spirit or alcohol binders, and they give our bags deep colour fastness. It’s a longer process, but we think it’s worth it.
Brass And Steel Hardware
- We colour coordinate stylishly with zips, fasteners and buckles of high-grade rustproof brass and steel. Sprung-loaded clips and magnetic studded fasteners make snappy additions for fast opening on the move.
- We over-spec’ the gauge of metal hardware to give bags our ‘made for life’ structural integrity.
Polyester Stitching And Linings
- Our one concession to modern fabric is polyester, but we source recycled material when we can. Polyester linings protect contents from moisture and reduce friction when lifting out belongings (when cotton might snag).
- For similar reasons, our industrial grade stitching wont fray, mould, or stretch in the most demanding conditions.